Soon to be Newbie owner from the Bay Area!

lundi 29 septembre 2014

Hello airstream community!

My name is Xavier, I'm a woodworker/metalworker/handyman, approaching 30, located in Oakland, CA.

I'm quite possibly about to embark on the exciting adventure that airstream ownership seems to be!

I have my eye on a 1978 Sovereign, on Craigslist, that seems like a great deal, but then, they always do to me :/

They're asking $10500 for the airstream, plus a '96 Suburban, fully equipped to tow it home (which will be wherever I choose!).

It has a few known issues, but supposedly is in overal good condition. It's all original, with apolstry redone in the 90s. All the appliances/pumps work.



Two immediate questions.



1. The only major known issue is that it has some rear end separation going on. Apparently it only happened recently, and is not too bad... but you can see light from the inside.

How major is the fix for that? I have read about bulletin #29. Has anyone made the reinforcement plates themselves?

I have actually helped with an airstream renovation before, so I have a fairly good idea what the work entails, and will be attempting to do most of it myself.





Second question: Have airstream values gone up much in the last 2 years?

I found a post from Jan 2013 (here) which would answer many of my questions about value if they haven't changed much.

Searching SF Bay Area Craigslist, either prices have gone way up, or people are just crazy.



Valuing the suburban at a conservative $2500, and assuming they'll take slightly less than their asking price, does $7000 seem like an okay price.



Lastly, if there are any members in the Bay Area, especially near Santa Rosa/Navato, I would be extremely appreciative of any assistance in inspecting this old gal.



It's getting late, and I'm probably saying too much/rambling a bit for a first post... so I'll leave it at that.



Thanks!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor