1961 Ambassador with welded on Torsion Axles

lundi 29 septembre 2014

I just took a serious look at my axles on my 61 Ambassador, the Torsion axles are REALLY welded on there! I looked through the most current 300 posts and found NOTHING on this welded on Axle subject (A search brings up literally 49000 threads).

If I converted over to leaf springs and straight axles, this would be a SIMPLE "New axle project" and even if I miss the alignment, it's SIMPLE to adjust.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm on a budget, so taking it somewhere really isn't an option. I have welders in my shop, so that's not a real big deal. Getting the existing axles off without destroying the frame is my biggest concern. It doesn't appear to be factory installed.

If I just cut out the axle and left the plate, that wouldn't me to bad as it appears the top of the axle isn't welded to the bracket, but I would assume I can't put that much heat on the rubber torsion springs???



I really do understand having the independent suspension is the best way to go, but touching these axle plates out does not seem like a great idea unless I want to get into a full on Frame repair too (Which the frame appears 99%, beside the back bumper area on the curbside, that I want to redo).

EVERYTHING I read talks about "Bolted on axles", so when I was shopping for an early 60s AS, I just knew I wanted new axles. Had I noticed the brackets were welded on, I may not have jumped on this unit. The inside is camp ready for the most part, and the body is really nice besides a good budding.

Thanks in advance for any options/ideas you may have.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor