Seeking advice on custom engine for 1965 Buick wagon to tow a vintage Airstream

vendredi 31 octobre 2014

Dear Airstream enthusiasts,



Since I was 7 years old, my family has owned a 1965 Buick Special station wagon, bought second-hand. Over the years it has become my car. Here are a few pictures of the restored car for the curious:



Biquette and autumn trees 2013 - canebas



I have long dreamed of purchasing a restored vintage Airstream trailer - something in the 19-22 foot range. Here is the 1964 line-up for reference:



http://ift.tt/1wOnQO6



Alas, the dream has become a nightmare before it could even get started. The custom engine I ordered for my trusty wagon failed after just 3 months and 1000 miles. So I'm just about back to square-one.



I should have asked this question here before embarking on this nightmare, but better late than never. I'm trying to power my Buick with a genuine Buick V-8, so that basically boils down to two choices: the Buick 350 cid or one of the Buick big-blocks (400, 430, or 455 cid.)



The Buick small block is one assertive engine. Stock versions could produce over 300 horsepower and over 400 foot-pounds of torque. It should be also noted that the 1968-1972 Jeep Wagoneer was powered by the Buick small-block and I assume my more timid wagon couldn't tow anything heavier than those Wagoneers.



The engine that died was a stroker version of the Buick 430 cid. It made over 500 horsepower and 500 foot-pounds of torque. However, I now believe the muscle car camshaft that was installed was completely unsuitable for towing. Contrary to the engine builder's recommendations, I now suspect that my original preference of an RV styled camshaft was a much more reasonable choice.



The dead engine is now at another engine builder and will hopefully be undergoing post-mortem soon to determine the cause of failure. My problem is to decide whether to try to salvage this big-block engine or start from scratch with either a 350 Buick or another Buick big-block.



Unfortunately, I'm sure it will be difficult for this forum membership to be able to help me, but if anyone has some thoughts about the specifications for custom engine to be built for a classic car to be a tow vehicle - any wisdom would be appreciated!



Cheers, Edouard




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor