Too much tongue weight

samedi 28 mars 2015

I have a 2014 Mercedes GL350. The owner's manual states that maximum tongue weight is 600# and I struggle mightily to stay within that limit. I could easily get to 900 or 1000# tongue weight if I just packed stuff in the most convenient places. At the very least, I know that excessive tongue weight can cause the trailer to be a handful, especially in crosswinds or when passing/being passed by trucks. And if there is enough tongue weight, it can cause the front end of the TV to be light which can affect handling and stability.



Nothing is stated in the manual about that limit increasing with use of a weight distributing hitch. In fact, the manual fails to mention use of a weight distributing hitch at all. I asked my dealer about it and the service guy said that I shouldn't use a weight distributing hitch on my GL because of the way the factory hitch is attached to the unibody. I don't know if that's true or not.



The service guy also said that use of a WD hitch will increase the distance between the ball and the end of the receiver so much that it will be outside of factory specs. I know there is, indeed, a factory spec on the distance between the end of the receiver and the ball. All WD hitches I've seen would exceed that distance.



Is there anything I can do so that exceeding the factory specs on tongue weight (perhaps by a lot) won't adversely affect towing or my TV? Thanks for any advice.



BTW, I searched this forum and found discussion about tongue weight but nothing that addressed my situation. If I missed it, I apologize in advance.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor