Wrong axles installed by dealer?

samedi 31 mai 2014

I recently had two new Dexter axles installed on my 1981 Excella by an Airstream dealer/service center in southern California. When I asked (ahead of time) what axle weight ratings they would use, they said they would use "the same as those that came with the trailer".



After I picked up the trailer, I asked what kind of axles they ended up using. They said they used two 3500 lb axles. This seemed reasonable at the time, as the service manual specifies 3200 lb axles for the 31' models. However, I just read that all the Excella models actually came with 4000 lb axles. Disbelieving, I opened up my front left corner rock guard and looked at the data plate underneath. Sure enough, it lists a GAWR of 4000 for both front and rear axles.



It sure seems to me like maybe they put the wrong axles on. I'm worried about a reduced useful life if the rating is too low. But before I go wild, can anyone think of any good reasons why I should have 3500 lb axles instead? If I have to pursue action on this, am I stuck dealing with the local dealer, or would going through the national Airstream headquarters be more useful?



Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this..



AJ




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor