Does size REALLY matter when full-timing?

jeudi 31 juillet 2014

Yes, folks, I'm another man that's hung up on size, so to speak :)



Here's the skinny: we are expecting our first munchkin in a few weeks, or thereabouts, and are underway with plans to transition to a full-timing family in about two years. In the meantime, I'm trying to do all the homework I can so that we make informed and intelligent decisions.



Our plan is to purchase the trailer sometime next year, but the size of the trailer seems to be a more difficult decision than I thought it would be. Now, we already have the tow vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. With the kid on the way, I needed to trade up from my regular cab Tacoma to something with a backseat, so the time was right for a new vehicle. I chose this truck because, having just moved back to Texas after 10 years in Colorado (I know, right??...who does that), we plan to spend a lot of time dragging the trailer up and down the Rocky Mountains. I knew with the Cummins I would never want for power, and I'm certain the exhaust brake will come in handy. I know the TV subject can really stir things up around here so I'm happy to have that decision made and done!



So, back to the topic at hand: trailer size. I think we could possibly squeak by in a 25FB, but I believe the 27FB is really as small as we would want to go. We plan to have at least one kiddo along with us, possibly two. And if you are at least as good with math as I am, you will see that means two very young munchkins in the trailer (if we decide to have 2, we would like to hit the road when the second hits 6 months). We are also considering the 28 and 30 lounge. I believe I'm partial to the layout and space of the 30. I'm a tall guy, and that larger lavatory space would be nice, as would the additional storage the trailer provides. If it matters, I plan to be working full-time as a software developer, so I need space to store the work gear and spread out a bit to get things done.



Here's the big question: would springing for the larger trailer - the 30 over the 27FB or 28 (same exterior lengths) - limit where we can take it and stay? I've not had a trailer before and I just have no concept of how big the 30 feels when squeezing it into a campsite. We've always been tent campers and look forward to having a home on wheels, but I don't want for us to choose something that will limit the places we can take it. The ability to boondock and stay slightly off the beaten path is very important. Assuming this means relatively tame dirt/fire roads, how will this come into play. I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and it seems the general consensus is that 25' or smaller is best for true boondocking access, but I don't believe that size is a realistic option for us (unless you fine folks can show me otherwise). I suppose one perk for the 30 with boondocking is larger fresh water tank.



We would like to have a year to practice with the trailer before going full-time in order to work out any kinks, perform any trailer customization, and simply make sure that we could make the change in lifestyle.



I'm leaning heavily on the experience and knowledge of each of you. If you full-time, what trailer did you choose and why, and would you choose differently a second time.



Thank you to all! I look forward to the conversations ahead...




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor