Oh No! Raining on the Inside

vendredi 29 août 2014

So we have had this trailer for 7 months now. Not a single leak. One time I thought it was leaking but later figured out it was water from the upholstery cleaner I was using on the walls.



We are camped at Sebastian Inlet, FL for a pet shakedown cruise. Last night we got a real rainstorm. Lasted about 30 minutes. DW opened the hanging locker at the foot of the roadside twin and stuff in there was wet. It looks like water ran down the back side of the vinyl ceiling until it hit the junction with the mouse fur and then transitioned to the inside. The mouse fur was pretty wet, but not soaked. Looking around found the foot of the bed wet also with water soaking down the mouse fur until it hit the bed platform.



I went outside and took a look to see if I could spot a potential entry point. The leak area is significantly forward of the window. I don't think water from the window could run horizontally quick enough to get to the leak point on the inside. The most obvious possible source is the roadside awning rail. The rain was blowing up from the curbside rear. My guess is it piled up against the awning rail. Either I have a new crack in the sealant or when stored at home the trailer is slanted enough and the storm direction is different enough to keep that from happening.



We are headed home today. I was planning to clean up the trailer and put it back in storage until ready to leave for Alumalina, but now I guess I have work to do. Ordered the sealant kit from Airstream with Acryl-R, two Sikaflexes (white and grey) and another sealant for the banana wraps and down. As soon as it comes I guess I'll be up top cleaning up old sealant and re-sealing. I wanted to do that around the front vent and TV antenna anyway as the caulk in that area didn't look so good. Sloppy job originally or more caulk slapped on on top of original, couldn't tell which on quick inspection. I also wante to try to stiffen up the area around the TV antenna with some spray foam to stop some oil canning.



I'll report back with findings and results. If anyone has any other suggestions for places to look or suggestions for getting up old sealant please let me know. Hope it doesn't rain for a few days.



Thanks,



Al




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor