Tow Vehicle advice

vendredi 27 juin 2014

Folks,



Tons of great information on this forum. Extremely helpful.



My wife and I have been talking about getting an Airstream forever.



Well, enough talk. The time is here, we're doing it!



And you know what that means? A bunch of questions you've all heard before. Don't worry, I've done a lot of reading on the boards already, so I'll try to avoid being that guy who doesn't search at all before asking. ;)



We're debating on getting a 25 or 27, the International Sterling is the front runner.



None of our cars are big enough/ are suitable for hauling a trailer, so we have to buy a tow vehicle



I have access to a newer F150 through one of my companies. I bring it home every once in a while to haul stuff. I have to be honest with you, it doesn't handle well and is not very comfortable. (It's a 2012 FX4 V8). And if we got a pick up truck, it would never be used when we're at home, so a big waste. So if I can avoid getting a pick up truck to haul the Airstream, great. But if you folks with experience think we need one, I'd love to get a recommendation what the best one is as my only experience is with this particular F150.



But I see that some forum members use X5, ML, RDX, Cayenne and Touareg. All of them are fine vehicles, some even have Diesel now for better torque and mpg. But I feel I need a little more room in the trunk than what these cars offer.



So I've narrowed it down to the following vehicles



The GL -- I've owned an ML before and the quality was questionable. I was glad the day we traded it in, so one of those cars. But things improve and we could have been unlucky with that particular vehicle. What engine would you guys recommend? They have the GL350 diesel, the GL450 with a smaller V8, the GL550 with the same cylinder volume V8, but about 65 more horses and better torque and the GL63 AMG with 550 ponies. All of them have the same towing capacity. Which one would you recommend?



--



The 2014 Range Rover. It has a V8 5.0 and a supercharged V8 5.0, both has the same towing capacity. They seem to be offering a good towing package with transmission cooling etc. and some good advice on their website. I have read some threads here that the Sport is not a good option, but that thread was from 2008. The supercharged V6 is not an option, I understand that. How do you feel about this truck?



--



The Q7. We're big Audi people. We've got two in our garage, an S6 and a Q5, both fantastic cars. But the Q7 is not very good looking and I haven't found anyone in there that uses it as a towing vehicle, there must be a reason why.



--



Ford Expedition. The only big American truck I have driven that handles well. We've rented an Expedition a couple of times the last few months and it was actually OK, much better than a Suburban or Tahoe. What are your thoughts on that?



--



Any other vehicles I have overlooked?



Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and giving us advice.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor