Interior skins screwed to frame

samedi 28 juin 2014

On my 1949 Liner, a previous owner apparently removed the interior skins at one point, and when they reattached the skins to the frame used steel sheet metal screws (either #8 or #10) 1/2 inch long. I'm removing the skins again to replace the insulation, seal leaks, replace all wiring, etc. Many of the screws are rusty, and all have a lot of paint encrusting the head and other stuff encrusting the threads. Most of the rivets that are merely connecting aluminum to aluminum (e.g. sections of the caps at end, and along the seams at top) have been left intact.



I don't think I can trust a rivet to attach securely in those holes that screws were used in, but I'm not certain. I'd have to drill new holes if I want to attach with rivets, leaving many empty holes. I don't want to completely replace all the skins just to prevent empty holes. Is there any possibility I can trust rivets in those holes? Does anybody see a problem with reattaching using similar screws (but aluminum)? Any other ideas?




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor