1968 Tradewind Shell Removal?

mardi 30 décembre 2014

OK, I've read through several posts regarding the removal of the shell in order to replace a rotten sub-floor. What I am trying to figure out is a simple step-by-step on the process.



I've removed all of the interior skins, insulation and aluminum wire and will start the next step once I get a little clarity on the process.



Here is my basic understanding, so please jump in and correct me before I do something stupid:



1. remove belt trim

2. drill out rivets holding body to u-channel

3. remove screws/rivets holding the wrapped body panels to belly pan

4. using a gantry lift the shell off of the frame by chain hoisting through vent openings fore and aft

5. pull chassis out from under shell



Seems like it is a straight forward operation. My questions are:



1. do the u-channels stay on the sub-floor, or do you leave them attached to the skin? (will dictate whether to drill rivets, or split nuts)

2. several posts mention that bracing is not required when lifting from the top, is that really true?

3. this seems so straight forward, what am I missing?



I will be replacing the entire sub-floor and the majority (if not all) of the u-channel. The u-channel is pretty shot in most areas due to corrosion/rusty bolts. Also the entire back end has pulled away from the -u-channel that area is the worst for corrosion/rot.



I will put up some pictures and start a post, but want to make sure it doesn't become a "how not to" forum.



Thanks in advance,

Steve




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor