'68 Globetrotter... NEWBIE.

lundi 31 mars 2014

I bought a '68 Globetrotter (20') a few months ago and have been silently gleaning crazy intel and "know-how" from this site... Thank you. ;)

When I bought my Airstream, Tonto, it had the proverbial issues (Floor rot in several places, electrical issues, windows shimmied-up with plexiglass, etc).

Having never owned a trailer but totally enamored with the allure of an Airstream (we can ALL relate, I'm certain), I decided to gut and refurbish my ride.

Here's what I have done, so far:

Removed entire interior (including all bathroom items, kitchen stuff, water heater, and furnace).

Removed tiled floor to reveal sub-floor rot in the bathroom, doorway, and in front of street side wheel well.

Removed all copper plumbing and replaced with Pex (installed 2 manifolds, one for hot and one for cold water).

Installed new 120v-in shore power (created cool placement where street-side furnace pipe went through inner/outer skin).

Sealed all leaks and removed all floor rot; outriggers, frame, etc were all in really good shape! Rust proofed and installed new sealed 3/4" subfloor.

I left the opening in front of the street side wheel well for the battery. I rust proofed all metal and sealed sealed subflooring in the area. I fabricated a sheet metal compartment for my battery to sit in. Installed a ground strap to the frame and battery post. I have vented the battery box through the belly pan and sealed the entire unit. This area has access via an access compartment door.

Installed several new 120v "drops" (bypassed aluminum wire inside walls).

Have new power inverter I will run, in lieu of Univolt set-up.

Removed both front and rear upper window channels, curb side (door) window channel, as well as both street-side upper window channels (5 total).

I am installing an "instant", tank less water heater (Propane) and a water filter system right after the holding tank and city water inlet (so every drop of water is filtered).

In addition, I just built an "outdoor shower unit" inside the bumper. This unit has hot/cold controls with a pull out wand... My main thoughts are for washing the dog, filling a big pot for boiling, rinsing feet, etc without having to go inside Tonto.

I will upload photos of before/after/during... um, as soon as I figure out the easiest most efficient way possible. :D

Thank you for your insight and I look forward to learning as I go.

Cheers!

Ruck




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor