Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road...

lundi 27 avril 2015

Having traveled enough since having a Drivers Permit... many things can end up in the "middle of the road". Some parts of the country have specific organic or inorganic items to be found.

Organic:
- Skunks. They seem to be from Sea Level to 6,300 feet elevation here in Colorado. They smell differently in Missouri than they do here in the Front Range of Colorado. No matter the scent... they make themselves known, although not usually seen. Road kill Skunk in the middle of the road is something to avoid, when possible. You will suffer for some time until the scent just "wears itself out". Curious dogs will get a "nose full" and a variety of recommended techniques to remedy the stench.

- Armadillos. Somehow when driving from Kansas City, Missouri to the Arkansas border there is one thing you will notice. Road kill Opossum and Skunk become Armadillo. You know you are close to Arkansas. Once in Texas, they must outnumber skunk and opossum. My mother in law, a retired school teach from New York, was driving with us to Arkansas to dig Quartz Crystals in the Hot Springs area. I pointed out an Armadillo laying along side the road. She told me they were a "turtle" of some kind. I tried to reason with her, but let the career teacher have her way. Turtle... OK. Just a turtle with a bit of hair.

- Moose, Elk, Deer, Antelope, Cattle, Horse, Sheep, Raccoons, Opossums, Rabbits, Jackalopes, Birds, Snakes... each area of the country has specific road kills. The higher the elevation, the LARGER THE ROAD KILL.

- Porcupine. Our Blue Heelers wanted to smell one years ago. I learned how to pluck them from their snouts. Some look like small raccoons and others look like a walking bush. Occasionally I will see a bush sized porcupine alongside the road. They have little fear of... anything. Our Blue Heelers, still are curious about Skunks, but hopefully, resist the temptation for "porkies".

- Insects in those humid areas with lakes, ponds, streams, irrigation. Miller Moths, if I can call them Miller, adhere to the windows as well as grasshoppers. I actually put behind my front grill a screen door screen to catch the "bug kill" so they do not clutter the radiator venting. Then, the screen is brushed off to remove the collection of beetles (not Beatles), butterflies, grass hoppers, butterflies and other flying insects.

Now, do not get me wrong. I am not promoting road kill. I actually avoid road kill as I am looking for the deer who hesitat alongside the road... to chose to cross exactly when you are coming near. I have a record of getting a bird now and then, but surely not by want or desire.

A horse/auto/trailer collision is not pretty. A deer/auto collision can be no better, and some deer will jump before being hit and come through your windshield. Big Horn sheep may be grazing along the highway grass with any salt remaining from salting the highway during the previous snow. Prairie Dogs are particularly not the brightest when deciding when and which direction to run when you approach. Add to that chipmunks that must take lessons from the Prairie Dog.

Jackalopes. Larger than a Jack Rabbit you have the Wyoming Jackalope. Once above 4,500 feet elevation these shy members of the rabbit family are out after sunset. Many flat tires have resulted from their sharp tipped antler. When I was 17 years old, I hit one outside of Douglas, Wyoming and paid $35 to have it mounted, a two pointer. (For those of you from the East, two pointed antler on EACH side, not a FOUR POINTer.) Just an East and West difference in counting. Avoid them like a deer. I still have the mount within ten feet of me. Not much farther away than my 1934 Gillette, Wyoming Bison head mount to go with my Indian Artifacts. The Bison was from a fund raiser in 1934 when many were roaming some ranches in Wyoming and taking down fence like they were made from strings.

Maybe you have experiences to add to this morbid fact of traveling.

Areas where deer are common you can find "deer whistles" that you attach to the front of your vehicle. I have never tried one... as it might even attract a buck with a large rack to see me as a competitor to his harem. Maybe they work. Looks like a piece of plastic that someone made a million dollars coming up with the idea.

So... what have you to say? What is YOUR local observation?

All I have to say. A living or dead skunk can haunt you for some time. I was reminded of a song on a 78 RPM record called "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road" that I had on an antique Wurlitzer jukebox years ago. Still true today.


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor