Just thought I'd share this....

lundi 30 mai 2016

The deeper I get into scripting & mobius the stranger it becomes...!

I am trying to write some scripts that will create a number of tracks (one at a time maybe) in different but synchronized tempos: 13 bars of 3/4, 2 bars of 3/4, 4 bars, etc, and then have them all switch to next loops, (at an appropriately synchronized point!) which will be 8 bars of 3/4 for all tracks. It ain't easy.

One difficulty I found at one point involved the first track (13 x 3/4) being set to empty loop action = none, or possibly time copy, some differing sync settings (a cycle of track 1 = 1 bar of 3/4), from loop, to cycle, to none (& back!), and yet I could not get the second loop to be one cycle long. It consistently copied/set the loop to 13 bars. Dividing, InstantMultiplying didn't work, but most frustrating of all, the second loop also insisted on copying the sound from loop 1!
I trawled the reference manual, trawled the sync manual, exploring etc, & eventually came across, in Mobius techniques,

17.3 Switch and Confirm Modes.
This section harks back to the EDP origins of mobius, and reveals that:

"A few functions have special behavior when executed during the switch quantization period.

Record - forces the next loop to be rerecorded, even if it is not empty
Overdub - performs a Sound Copy if the next loop is empty
Multiply - performs a Sound Copy if the next loop is empty
Insert - performs a Time Copy if the next loop is empty"

Yep, you guessed it, I had an Overdub command in my script, and this was causing mobius to make a sound copy of loop 1, regardless of my Empty Loop Action settings, attempts to resize the loop to 8 bars instead of 13, and confusing me thoroughly for the last three hours!!!

Those of us who never had the chance to acquire an EDP are certainly missing a few tricks here, though I wonder sometimes the wisdom of maintaining some of these quirks when mobius has evolved so far from its original inspiration. No doubt EDP fans out there will be quick to put me right! :)

Maybe this'll make some of you folk struggling with mobius feel a little better - you're not alone.

Meanwhile, back to the drawing board....

Dave


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor