Do you have a rule for how long you'll drive every day?

jeudi 27 mars 2014

Used to be, when I was younger, I could drive 8, 12, 20 hours with no problem. Now, that mileage limit is coming way down. And I find "long" drives to be shorter and shorter--no more 600 or 800 mile days for me.



This trip, coming back from picking up our new 22 Sport in Orlando, we left very late in the day through no fault of our own, and had a 7 to 8 hour drive. So we were driving until well after midnight.



It occurred to me that we should adopt this rule: That no matter where we are, no matter what our schedule is, no matter where we have to be in the morning, that we pull over for a night's sleep at 9:00. No matter what. Even if it's only 4 or five hours. Because I just wasn't all that safe driving after five hours driving, or at 9:00 pm.*



Do y'all have practices like this?



- - - - - - - -

*I am proud to say that at 8:40, I realized I was nearly comatose. We pulled off at a rest area, and I lay down for 25 minutes. I didn't really sleep, but it was enough to recharge my batteries. The next 3 hours of driving were safe, even if grueling. I didn't plan on my first sack time in the new trailer being e so pedestrian, but I guess it did mean that I did survive until the NEXT sack time.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor