T

samedi 1 novembre 2014

Hello all.



I am 71, single, a retired software engineer interested in reducing my footprint on the planet in the spirit of the "tiny house" movement -- I admire the off-grid, energy-efficient lifestyle -- and seek to do it in a flexible, mobile form. My aim is leisurely boondocking and touring, rather than long-duration stays at RV parks. But fuel economy is a concern.



In my mid 30's, I lived nicely out of one suitcase while traveling for a year in France, England and Italy, stopping in modest (1 star) hotels. I could live small again and much more pleasantly in a 20' Airstream.



While not oriented to outdoor sports or open-air camping, I appreciate the varied, changing beauty of natural surroundings and the charm of new places, all while preferring the comforts of a movable home. My plan is to head out next spring-summer, leaving my townhouse condo behind me as a fall-back.



Naturally cautious, I have been gathering data, lurking on airforums.com, reading books on RV travel, TT construction, Airstream, full-timing (my ambition) for over a year. Having a versatile and economical TV as a daily driver appeals to me, as compared, for instance to a comparably equipped motor coach. So I am leaning to a new (maybe used) 1/2 ton truck, a RAM 1500 TD AWD (bio-diesel fuel compatible would also be nice), perhaps the coming aluminum body Ford F150 or maybe even a compact Toyota truck.



After exploring floor plans and features, I chose the 20' Safari/Flying Cloud with its fine galley since I cook, as the best balance of comfort vs small size.



My idea is to convert the 20' from a camper designed mainly for a family with kids, to a "studio" with more open space and more flexible furnishings, a studio for one full-timer. A used, under ten year old 20' Safari or Flying Cloud would ease the modifications that I have in mind for the dining and bed area -- briefly, replacing the dinette with a modular desk/meal-bar/dining table at the double window, changing the bed to a convertible sofa/bed. Not having the skill, or facilities to attempt them myself, I am considering customizers, such as Risco Inc in NJ or Timeless in CO. My altered 20' floor plan will be posted soon if wanted.



Airforums is the first national social network I have ever thought indispensable to join. Any comments, warnings of possible pitfalls, suggestions or ideas from this well-informed, experienced community are most welcome.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor