Backing-into-the-driveway strategy

mercredi 26 mars 2014

OK, colleagues--tomorrow I pick up my new 22 Sport at the dealer and will drive it home. Among the many things I am obsessing about (sway, fishtailing, crosswinds, blown tires ...) here's the terminal one: getting it into my driveway!



I live on a narrow residential street. (I also live near the end of a cul-de-sac, so if I don't get it in, I'm going to end up backing down the street and down a hill to get it turned around.) But please help me visualize this--how do you approach backing into a driveway/parking space from a narrow street?



My old approach, with my 1/2-the-size-of-the-AS popup, was to pull pretty much to the opposite side of the street, along the curb, with the back of the trailer about even with the edge of my driveway, and back in from there. That felt like it gave me the greatest angle into the driveway. BUT, it didn't leave a lot of room for the TV's front wheels: a lot of times as my truck was coming around, I hit the curb or actually went up on the curb with the front wheels. I'm wondering if my backing geometry is wrong.



Second question ... when you're backing, what are you watching in terms of pivot point? I mean, do you say (for example) when my trailer wheels are even with the corner of the driveway, that's the time to go into maximum turn? Or is you angle more gradual as you back in?



I know all this is kind of difficult to put in words, but any help would be much appreciated.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor