Towing with my F150 5.4

lundi 22 décembre 2014

Hi folks. I know this information is here somewhere, but i haven't found it yet.



This summer i drug a 1975 31' Sovereign out of the bush for a song. For the price i paid and the condition it was in, the capability of my tow vehicle wasn't even on my radar. I simply couldn't walk away from the deal.



That said, I have a 2010 F150 FX4 SCREW (i think it's 157" wb) with the 5.4L and the maxtow package. I know that on paper, the truck can pull the airstream fine. But i wonder if it SHOULD pull it. My concern is, i live in Northern BC, mountainous terrain, steep hills, tight turns, no big freeways or flat roads to speak of...so this truck is going to be breathing heavy.



The Airstream weighs in at 7700lbs dry, so i know power will be an issue. But more importantly for me, is going down the backside of those mountain passes when i have to brake and maneuver this trailer. That's a lot of weight to control with a half ton, is it not?



Am i overthinking it, to trade up to an F250/350 diesel? Do i need all that extra? I get that the diesel and the extra size on the superduties will help, but am i worrying about nothing? I should add that i only pulled it out the trees 5 miles from my house, so I haven't experienced what it's like going down the road...that said, it sits nice on the truck.



My only comparrisson is that I currently pull a Near mint 1973 Vanguard, which is only 20' long and half the weight, so i've never really worried about pulling or braking it.



Any help would be appreciated




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor