The standard progession of a Airstream Wannabe...

dimanche 26 octobre 2014

Greetings from Dallas. After several years of general cajoling and persistance, my lovely bride has convinced me we should get an Airstream. This conversation began years ago with a desire to go camping. That said, after 10 years in the Marines, I really don't have an interest in sleeping in the dirt ever again.



But I do like the idea of hookng up an heading out. While visiting a few Airstreamers this weekend at a local campground, I began to feel the bug setting in. We saw three trailers, one new, one vintage, one from the 80's. All unique and just cool. All the other boxes on wheels at adjacent spots hold NO APPEAL.



So I found this amazing place and began looking. First I figured I'd go down the restoration/rennovation path. Then I got to thinkning about the work and I moved to the new AS camp, hey it's only money! But now I'm back to the vintage route. The biggest factors being cost, weight and the ability to make something special that we'll have for the next 20 yrs.



So here is my question. Is it possible to do a bit of both? I want to RENONVATE not RESTORE. But I don't have the time, patience or skill to endure some of the anquish I've read about over the past few weeks. Are there rebutable folks who will bring a trailer to the "aluminum tent stage"? Can I find a 25' to 30 foot trailer with a properly restored frame and subfloor? I'd happily pay for a set of good bones that have dealt with the frame and subfloor issies. From there I'd feel much conforatble starting with blank canvas that I can begin from.



This idea can't be orignal. Is this a reasonable approach? How do I get started?



Dan in Dallas...




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor