19' or 23' for Trailer Newbie?

vendredi 26 décembre 2014

Hi everyone,



Complete newbie here. I've been dreaming of living on the road for a few years and it looks like the stars may soon be aligning. Being here, I guess its noticeable that I've decided on an Airstream quite a while ago and I've been leaning towards a 19'.



I'll start by giving some quick background - live in Canada, 2015 hope to live on the road May to October, never owned a trailer, used to (and like) living in small spaces and close to the outdoors and would love if I eventually could full time in an Airstream. I don't see myself as constantly being on the road, if I find a place I like I can easily see myself setting up shop and staying for a year (connected).



Being new to the trailer thing, but feeling a 16 isn't enough for me, the 19 seemed like a reasonable balance between big enough and not too hard to tow. I'm a city guy and I'm worried about being a bit of a boob when it comes to towing. On the other hand, when I look at the 23's, the size is just perfect for me and don't seem a heck of a lot more money in the long run.



My question is for any other former boobs out there...is there a big difference between a 19' and a 23'? Assume the tow vehicle (Land Rover) is capable of the weight of course (GVWR 19'=4500lbs, 23'=6000lbs, tow=7000lbs). How quickly will I get used to it? I'm not a speed demon by any means. I just want to get there alive (and everyone behind me alive!).



I've read the shorter wheel base of the Land Rover can cause problems. Then I've also read of specialized hitches that can offset some of those problems (sway, etc). Is the longer wheelbase of a truck the main reason it is more stable a tow vehicle?



I guess it boils down to: Can a newbie comfortably tow a 23' AS with a Land Rover? Can a newbie comfortably tow a 23' AS with a truck?



Thanks!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor